The task (which we will discuss in class on W 4/22):
- Write an analysis of the lighting in each of the following scenes as represented by the selected frames from The Right Stuff. Your analysis should address the following points for each frame:
- Can you tell where the light is coming from (above, below, right, left, front, back)?
- Does the lighting seem more stylized or more naturalistic?
- How and where is shadow used in the scene?
- What role does lighting play in defining the dominant subject in the frame?
- Key references are Spadoni, chapter 3, 78-82 and lecture and discussion from week 3 (see the Calendar).
- I will look first at the precision and formality of your language. Be as specific and as technical as possible. I will expect to see gradual improvement on this point as the term goes on.
- I will also be looking at how clearly you explain your interpretation. Being articulate is more important than being "right."
- I will also be looking at how carefully your analysis is composed and edited and that you have addressed each of the required points for each image.
- I think that two to three single-spaced pages is a reasonable guideline for length.
- You should submit your assignment via Moodle by M 4/27 at 5:00 pm. Additional details on Moodle.
- This assignment is worth five (5) points.